The Stop The HIT Coalition represents the nation’s small business owners, their employees and the self-employed who are actively working to repeal the Health Insurance Tax (HIT). This costly, unfair and hidden tax increases the cost of health insurance in the small business market and needlessly stifles economic growth.
The Stop The HIT Coalition is engaging members of the small business community, policymakers and other key stakeholders in a grassroots campaign to highlight the significant harm caused by this tax, all the while promoting repeal measures that will Stop The HIT.
The Stop The HIT Coalition includes a diverse group of trade and business associations across a broad array of industries.
The Stop The Health Insurance Tax Coalition (Stop The HIT Coalition) is working to repeal the costly, unfair and hidden health insurance tax on small businesses that is now in effect. We will generate grassroots support for repeal by educating policymakers and activating small business owners, their employees and the self-employed who are directly impacted by the pending HIT.
Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Stop The HIT Coalition is to repeal Section 9010 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and stop the implementation of the health insurance tax (HIT) on small businesses. Repeal will be accomplished through:
- Issue Education – Policymakers in Washington must be made to understand that small business will directly take the HIT through higher insurance costs, even more limited consumer choice and an increased cost of doing business.
- Grassroots Activation – The HIT could affect 28.8 million small businesses and their 56.8 million employees, and 23 million employees who are covered by their employer. Working together, small businesses and the communities that depend on them can stop this tax increase.
Since May 2011, the Stop The HIT Coalition has grown to more than 30 members ranging from independent employee advocacy groups, industry trade associations and business policy groups. Together these organizations represent the millions of Americans who suffer from the Health Insurance Tax. See a list of Coalition members here:
- Alliance for Affordable Services
- American Bakers Association
- American Council of Engineering Companies
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- American Hotel & Lodging Association
- American Rental Association
- American Supply Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Associated General Contractors
- Auto Care Association
- Automotive Recyclers Association
- Independent Electrical Contractors
- International Franchise Association
- International Housewares Association
- National Association of Convenience Stores
- National Association of Health Underwriters
- National Association of Manufacturers
- National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors
- National Club Association
- National Community Pharmacists Association
- National Federation of Independent Business
- National Funeral Directors Association
- National Lumber and Building Material Dealers Association
- National Restaurant Association
- National Retail Federation
- National Roofing Contractors Association
- National Small Business Association
- NUCA Representing Utility and Excavation Contractors
- Petroleum Marketers Association of America
- Plastics Trade Association
- Printing Industries of America
- Professional Golfers Association
- Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Society of American Florists
- Specialty Equipment Market Association
- U.S Chamber of Commerce